Thursday, August 4, 2016

Thinking about Math

Welcome to my new blog!  I am Jennifer Gibson, Unit 5's new Elementary Math Coach.  I am excited to be able to support our teachers and students in the development of great math thinkers!

My primarily goal is to support you to help students be successful.  I know that you are busy and overwhelmed.  I know that you are already working to make a difference,  You are putting in the time this summer to keep up to date on what is happening in education. Please allow me to help you to make your math journey easier.

Through this blog, I hope to make it easier for me to share great things going on in our classrooms, ideas to better manage your math classroom, and finally, ways to make math matter to all our learners.

I have a lot of ideas, and I also have plenty of things that I just don't know--but I am ready to learn.  My plan right now is to spend the beginning of the school year just getting into buildings and visiting classrooms.  I plan to let buildings know of the days that I am going to be there, and then hopefully, people will put me to work!  I would love to work with a small group, teach a game, help develop workshop expectations, whatever will make your work easier.  I think this will allow me to get to know our buildings and our strengths better.  I will also be able to answer questions or concerns when I am out in the buildings.

One of the things that I love to do is to create SMARTBoard documents.  This summer, I developed a review game for each grade level (5th grade still to come)  You should have received an email about the game for the grade that comes before you.  Here I am posting the link to all of the games.  You can download and use whatever you wish of these games.  I just used the CCSS to develop them as an easy activity for the beginning or end of a school year.  The links are here, just click on the picture to go to the Google doc, download it and use it as you wish.:
Kindergarten Preview
Kindergarten review game


1st grade review game

2nd grade review game

3rd grade review game

4th grade review game



Here I go...stepping into a new stage in my career.  I'm excited, and I want to make a difference. I hope that you have a great new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment