Sunday, May 6, 2018

Summertime Ideas

As summer approaches, we need to remember that this important time of rejuvenation offers students time to explore, play, and be a kid.  It is not about daily academic programs or workbooks to complete.  

It is good for parents to continue to offer their child ways to maintain academic skills while also helping them to enjoy the summer. Besides the list of ideas I have shared before, parents may want to consider using Bedtime Math. It offers short interesting math practice that parents and children talk through and discuss together.  The discussion is the important part of this app; not the answer.  It allows parents to engage children with math in a non-threatening, fun way. Another good site that is geared towards parents is called Table-talk math. The site is in conjunction with a book of the same name by John Stevens, but this site offers ideas and examples of concepts for parents to talk with their children about.

Consider sharing these sites or the list of the ideas from my earlier blog post with parents.  As a parent, I know I always appreciate when teachers give me ideas of things that I can do to enrich my children.  I'm sure yours will, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment