Wednesday, January 10, 2018

One step at a time....

Many of us are looking for baby steps to begin our changes in math instruction.

Robert Kaplinsky just wrote an awesome post called, "I Hope You're Embarrassed."  In this post, he discusses how we should be looking back on our math instruction, embarrassed by the methods we used to teach our students in the past.  If we are embarrassed, we know that we have improved!  We might be embarrassed by methods we used in our first years in the classroom, a few years ago, or just last week!  No matter, noting that we can do better is a huge step towards more improvement.

In my talks with teachers, I try to expose them to a number of routines, problems, and best practices that I find in my own professional development, hoping that something I share will spark an idea for teachers to integrate into their own classroom.

Today, my spark is pretty straight forward: My Favorite No.  Watch this video from Teaching Channel and consider ways that you can use it in your classroom.  Ms. Alcala uses this routine daily; maybe for you, it is enough to try it once a week to start?  How can you take this practice and use it to help you transform your learners (and yourself) into better mathematicians?  

Have you tried this routine in your class already?  What were the results?  

No comments:

Post a Comment